Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Bye Bye Paci!

We actually did it! Well as many of you know Madelyn has been obsessed with her "paci" since the day she was born. We have been trying to decide when to get rid of it because it seems as though the attachment is just getting stronger the older she gets. With Audrey being born recently and her taking one as well, we knew that she would just try to take the baby's pacifier away, so we've been letting her have it mostly at nap and bed time. Lately she's been fighting the nap and throwing the paci down saying, "Mommy no no nap today." So today I just decided, it's time! So I asked her if we should get rid of the paci for good and we could trade it in for a toy and she said, "yes." So I took full advantage. We went all around the house and found them all and put them in a bag and then went to The Red Balloon toy store and let her pick out a toy in place of the pacifiers in the bag. She chose this cute Melissa & Doug wooden cookie set after looking at several things and thinking to myself that we were never going to get out of there. So then we took the pacifiers up to the cashier and gave them to cashier in place of the toy. Then I told her to say bye to her pacifiers. She said, "Bye bye pacies." Then we started to walk out to the car with the toy in hand, and it hit her, then she started to say, "No I want my pacies." So then I had to distract her and remind her that we traded in the cool toy for them instead. I felt like I had taken her best friend away. It was kind of sad. Today she has done pretty good. She has asked for it a few times and again I had to remind her. But when Ty came home she said, "Daddy, I gave my pacies to the lady and got a cookie set!" She went to bed okay because she was really tired, but I know that she'll probably be waking up in the night asking for it. It will be good in the long run if we can just get through the next few days and nights. Here she is saying cheese with her new cookie set.
The Melissa and Doug cookie set. It's super cute!

8 comments:

Emily Call said...

That is such a cute toy. You are such a better mom than me. When I was ready for Cait to give up her binky, I made her throw them in the garbage can just before the garbage truck came to take it away. So sad!

The Airharts said...

Wow-that is a cute cookie set! I hope it all goes good-and your night was ok last night-dont give in..it will be worth it. Oh and on my last post I put the website that I edit my photos on-there is a ABC button that you can add the words to the pictures. Have fun!

Valerie said...

i LOVE that cookie set!!! maybe i'll get it for addison for christmas! poor madelyn!!! i'm sure it will be hard!!!! good luck! maybe she'll surprise you & it will be so easy & she'll just forget about them!!! i'll keep my fingers crossed! =)

The Burtons said...

I just bought Elsie the same kitchen. I think it is so cute. And impressive the binky is gone! I was going to wait until she was 3 but maybe you've inspired me.

Jami and Family said...

The cookie set is so cute I love it! Those darn paci's I love them and hate them all at the same time! I am going to try to get rid of Sophie's before the baby comes so wish me luck! Way to go taking it away I hope it goes well!

Liz said...

Keep us posted on how it works. Alexa loves her binky, too, but they're wearing out big time and I haven't been able to find the same ones to buy as replacements. Probably a sign that I need to be thinking about a TOY replacement. LOVE that cookie set!!! I need to check out that Red Balloon.

The Shirley Family said...

That is the cutest little kitchen and I love the new cookie set. I hope Madelyn is still doing well without her binky. Addison sucks her thumb and I don't know how I am going to stop that.

dave&abby johnson family said...

Oh you are such a good mommy, thanks for the tip when we get to that point with Aspen and her binks, she is seriously obsessed. And that little cookie sheet is too cute, same with the little kitchen! Where did you get the kitchen at?